Saturday, November 3, 2012

Van Persie hails special day when Man UTD won 2 - 1 against Arsenal

Robin van Persie acknowledges his goal against former club Arsenal in a low-key manner
03/11/2012 16:33 
Robin van Persie hailed a “special day” after scoring against his former club during Manchester United's 2-1 win over Arsenal on Saturday.
Much of the talk ahead of the Barclays Premier League match had focused on the Dutchman’s first match against the Gunners since making the switch from the Emirates Stadium to Old Trafford in the summer.
Undeterred, the 29-year-old raced out of the blocks to break the deadlock in the third minute, taking advantage of a poor clearance from Thomas Vermaelen to finish with his unfavoured right foot.
Despite being roundly and perhaps unfairly booed by Arsenal’s travelling support, van Persie showed his class by not celebrating his goal - favouring a more dignified, respectful reaction.
“I think it speaks for itself,” Robin declared to Sky Sports, when asked why he didn’t celebrate his goal. “I played there for eight years. I had a fantastic time there and I respect the fans, the players, the manager and the whole club. So that’s why.
“It was a special day and in the end it was quite a game, I think we played well. We were a bit sloppy with chances and should have scored two or three more. But in the end we are happy with three points because that is all that matters.”
Saturday’s encounter between the two giants of English football resulted in a more timid affair than previously expected, despite referee Mike Dean handing out eight yellow cards, as United largely dominated the match without showing too much ruthlessness in front of goal.
Surprisingly, van Persie was one of many Reds to spurn chances to score after the half-time break
and perhaps should have done better with a glorious opportunity midway through the second half when his low shot was tipped just wide by goalkeeper Vito Mannone.
However, the Dutchman is content with his solitary strike against his former club, despite admitting he should have scored more than just once: “Yes I did have an easy chance in the second half. I didn’t expect so much time on the ball to be fair.
“I thought that Thomas Vermaelen was a bit closer to me so I decided to shoot quickly. It was a bad choice because I could have taken one more touch and finished it. I should’ve scored two but I am happy with one.
“As I said, it was a special day. It was the first time I have ever played against my former club because I only have three. It was a special day but in the end it is about the game, which won so I am pleased with that.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment